2 eggs, room temp
1 2/3 C. sugar
2 C. flour
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Large pinch sea salt
3⁄4 C. milk (whole is best)
1 C. mild extra virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 orange
3 Tb. orange juice
1⁄2 C. toasted chopped almonds
Whipped cream, fruit compote, confectioners’ sugar – optional
1. Preheat your oven to 375. Grease a 10 inch round cake pan, line it with parchment, then grease and flour the lined pan.
2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl till foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat on high until the mixture is pale and leaves a ribbon when you lift the beaters, about 6 – 8 minutes.
3. In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a big measuring cup whisk together the milk, oil, orange zest and juice. Now combine 1/3 of the dry ingredients then half of the wet to the eggs, beating after each addition until it’s all smooth.
5. Pour your batter into the prepared pan and set in the oven; immediately turn it down to 350. Bake until the cake pulls away from the pan and a toothpick inserted the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 to 55 minutes.
6. Cool the cake on a rack for about 15 minutes then turn it onto a plate, remove the parchment, flip it over and let cool completely. Serve as is, or with fruit spread, confectioners, sugar, and/or whipped cream.